George Dow writes:
Forty Green Christian members attended our Way of Life Gathering from 29 to 31 May at Ringsfield Hall in Suffolk.
We discussed the concept of introducing a Way (or rule) of Life which would offer a set of 4 ‘disciplines’:
- Daily prayer and devotions
- Living gently on the earth
- Public action
- Accountability / support / encouragement
to help us to more deeply explore what it means to be a green Christian, where care for the earth is a fundamental outworking of our faith.
- a reflection on the Biblical roots of community,
- the practical challenges of being accountable (and offering support) to each other in a geographically dispersed group,
- workshops on saving energy and letter-writing (for public action)
- and a practical demonstration of raised bed, no-dig food growing – the last being conducted in glorious sunshine in the beautiful grounds.
A highlight of all Green Christian weekend gatherings – an impromptu ‘concert’ somehow emerged on the Saturday evening – with song, poetry, storytelling and bagpipe-playing – a veritable burst of creativity and fun!
Next step is to reflect on the many valuable comments made throughout the weekend and afterwards and, in consultation with attenders at the Gathering and the wider Green Christian community, look to how the Green Christian Way of Life may be applied in practice.
Any comments can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org