1st Sept: A Prayer Walk for the Care of Creation?
Churches Together in Settle are holding two eco/prayer walks on 1st Sept – a wheel chair accessible one at 2pm and a more challenging one up Castleberg Crag at 5.45pm
In doing so they are joining up with people around the world who are going on pilgrimages to raise awareness of Climate Change – see The Peoples Pilgrimage
- More details of 1st Sept event at Settle
- Details and pictures of similar walk held on 23 July – lower down this post.
- Instructions for walk leaders for these and similar “Walks for Creation”
- Website for Peoples Pilgrimage – list of pilgrimages all over world leading up the COP21 UN climate meeting in Paris this December.
- Details of the Morecambe Bay People’s Pilgrimage Itinerary including Cark, Leighton Moss, Yealand, Morecambe Prom, Heysham
On 23h July Churches Together in Settle and District organised a prayer walk for the care of creation. See details and more pictures here.
Sept 1st has been chosen for the next one because:
1) Many churches are holding Pray and Fast for the Environment events on the 1st day of each month
2) 1st Sept is the first day of “Creation Tide” celebrated by the Protestant and Orthodox churches in Europe (Council of European Churches)
3) Pope Francis says Catholic Church should treat 1st Sept as “World Day of Prayer for the Care of Creation” http://bit.ly/1HFiCHE
4) 1st Sept is the first day of the year for many churches (e.g. Methodist Church)
5) It is a great thing to do.
A preparation sheet for this particular walk is available to downloaded Walk-for-creation – In a nutshell, this was a walk with 3 meditation/discussion stops (in groups of 3-6) in the environment – and finishing with a cafe tea and cake.. We were able to split into two groups so one could go on a longer walk, whilst the shorter walk we carried chairs to sit on.
The meditation/ discussion and silent appreciation was structured so that that all in the group could contribute.