Pray like a Prophet
Walter Wink said, ‘History belongs to the intercessors, who believe the future into being’. So how do you pray for the planet? That’s the question we asked festival-goers at Greenbelt 2011, and some of their answers are below. We want to ask you too.
For some people the prospects for the earth are too discouraging to contemplate. Denial is the easy option. Not so for the prophets. They looked the truth in the eye, not just for themselves but their whole society.
Do you feel able to pray for the planet, and if so, what form does that prayer take? Please tell us by leaving a reply in the form at the foot of the page. It will help us to build a community of people who support each other in praying like a prophet.
A selection of responses from Greenbelt 2011
- Lord, we know you created the universe out of your great love. Help us to reach out to you for guidance and strength
- Restore our fortunes, LORD, like streams in the Negev. Those who sow with tears will reap with songs of joy. I pray for renewal of minds and hearts and land. God’s kingdom come and the year of Jubilee becomes real and eternal.
God, shake me out of my complacency to live a life that points towards a better future. Amen
Lord, reorient us to be a people of character for whom love of the other impels us to act to reverse the environmental crisis. In your mercy, hear us. Amen
- I pray that the Lord sends the helpers for the harvest – people of God with is voice in places of power on earth. His will be done here as in heaven.
- Romans 8.2: Just as we are broken, our world is broken too – ‘creation is groaning’. Jesus, heal our planet, as you heal us! Let us see restoration in your perfect kingdom!
- Lord, help me to play my part in responding practically to climate change. Give me courage, strength and vision
- Help me not to be paralysed by fear and despair, and to take meaningful action
Please add your own by sending a reply in the form below.