Oil giant Shell and Siccar Point Energy are currently seeking permission from the UK Government to develop the Cambo oil field, west of the Shetland Isles, just months ahead of COP26.
We don’t think permission should be given.
Sign The Open Letter Now
Why Stop Cambo?
- The climate impacts of opening the Cambo Oil field would be devastating. In the first phase alone, developers want to extract up to 170million barrels of oil; the emissions from which are equivalent to running a coal-fired power station for 18 years.
- Approving the Cambo field will be a massive failure of UK climate leadership and threatens to undermine the success of the crucial UN climate talks. In just a few months, the eyes of the world will turn to the UK as the hosts of the UN climate talks in Glasgow. Approving the Cambo field will send a clear message that this government is not serious about climate action and not willing to do its part to phase out support for oil and gas.
- The International Energy Agency has stated that to meet the 1.5°C target in the Paris Agreement, there should be no more new investment in oil, gas, or coal. The world cannot afford to open new fossil fuel frontiers. This starts with rejecting the Cambo Field.
- If Boris Johnson is serious about being a climate leader, he must reject Cambo, all new fossil fuel developments and support a just transition for oil and gas workers and impacted communities. It’s time to end the UK government’s support for maximising the economic recovery of oil & gas and commit instead to a rapid and fair energy transition.
Four Ways To Take Action To Stop Cambo
- Sign The Open Letter
If you live in Scotland (or outside the UK), sign here
If you live in the England, Wales or Northern Ireland, sign here
- Upload a photo with a #StopCambo sign to Social Media
Make a #StopCambo sign and upload it on social media, using the hashtag #StopCambo and tagging @StopCambo.
- Email Your MP
Find your MP and ask them to call on Boris Johnson to reject Cambo. We’ve included some draft talking points below but please create your own message. Your MP is more likely to listen and act if it’s personal.
- I’m writing to ask you to call on the Prime Minister to reject the proposed Cambo oil field west of Shetland
- The first phase of the Cambo project seeks to extract 170 million barrels of oil – the equivalent of 18 coal-fired power plants running for a year. That’s just phase one.
- The International Energy Agency (IEA) has stated that to meet the 1.5°C target in the Paris Agreement, there should be no more new investment in oil, gas, or coal.
- Extracting from Cambo field directly contradicts the warning of the IEA and sets us further on a dangerous path past 1.5°C
- Approving the massive new Cambo oil field would be a colossal failure of UK climate leadership and could threaten the success of the crucial UN climate talks in Glasgow in November.
- If Boris Johnson is serious about taking climate action, he must reject Cambo, all new fossil fuel developments and support a just transition for oil and gas workers and impacted communities.
- Please call on the Prime Minister and the UK government to reject Cambo and all new oil, gas and coal projects
- Follow @StopCambo on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
Comments on "Stop Cambo!"
As ever, all the fine words from politicians prove worthless when money talks. The counterpoint is that jobs and alternatives to fossil fuels are both still needed so investment is required whether from government, companies, private individuals or other groups / bodies. The priority must still be stopping this though, although wallets need to open later.